Here are some of your FAQs

Q) What are your fees ?

Following on from an initial site visit, I will then email you a fixed price fee quotation which will be for the work stages discussed at our meeting.  From there you proceed with the services outlined and send back the signed acceptance form.

Q) How much will the build cost ?

This is a difficult question to answer as each and every builder has their own charges. As a rule of thumb (as at May 2016) if you allow for between £1800-£2000 per square metre, for a new extension, this will give you some idea. This is also dependant on any fittings ie kitchens and bathrooms.

Q) What are the timescales involved ?

A) Form the measure survey sketch schemes are normally issued four weeks (or sooner).  Once the sketch schemes have been approved, then it normally takes two weeks to finalise the planning application drawings ready for submission to the council. Once submitted, the planning process can take up to eight weeks (sometime longer if the application is contentious).   Following the planning decision, the building regulation application drawings are normally issued within five weeks (or sooner).   Once approved by you, then they are submitted to an Approved Building Control Assessor for a full plans application.  This can again take up to five weeks to be approved, but you can start works once the initial notice has been accepted by the council from the approved inspector.   Timescales are dependent on the practices workload at the time, and any other consultant’s details that are required.

Q) What is the difference between Permitted Development and householder planning permission ?

If you have not extended your dwelling, and it is not in a conservation area, or a building of special historical interest, or listed, then you may be able to erect your extension under permitted development guidelines. These are quite stringent, and may not give you the required extension you are after.  This is where a householder planning application is best used, so you are able to extend further and higher than the permitted development rules.  If you dwelling is on an estate, then you may still need to apply for householder planning, as your dwelling may have had it permitted development rights taken away as part of the original planning approval for the development.  You will still need to apply for building regulations approval no matter what way the planning route goes down.

Q) What happens if I have a public sewer on my land where I want to build my extension ?

You will need to apply for a build over / near licence to the local water authority. There are certain criteria that needs to be shown for the application, and there are costs involved in obtaining the licence. All of which I can run through at our initial meeting, and I can then outline the costs in my fees letter.

Q) What happens if I want to build on my boundary or carry out a loft conversion on my semi-detached property ?

You will need to serve you neighbours with a party wall notice under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. I can recommend a local Party Wall Surveyor to undertake these works on your behalf. Should the neighbours dissent to the notices, then I can run through the process of how the party wall works.

Q) Do you know any builders ?

Yes, I have a list of approved building contractors who I use, and recommend. You are sent this list once the planning application drawings have been submitted to the council. You are free to use your own contacts, for pricing of the works.

For more information, please refer to the resources page, where you will find links to councils and government bodies.